Educate and engage with zoo visitors about wildlife conservation and gain experience with teaching, leadership, and public speaking while learning about animals and their environments.
Who is the Summer Discovery Guide program for?
The Discovery Guide program is for people aged 14-19 seeking to enrich their lives and gain professional skills by volunteering at the Central Park Zoo. The Summer program runs weekends only from May 13, 2017 until July 5, 2017, and Wednesdays through Sundays from July 7 through September 30.
- Educate public visitors at exhibits and around the zoo
- Interact with visitors in the Zoo
- Leading offerings like storytelling, games and art activities
- Must be able to provide volunteer service a minimum of 2 weekend days per month
- Make a difference
- Meet like-minded teens and make new friends
- Earn school community service hours
- Increase animal knowledge
- Gain work experience and build your college resume
WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2017.
Training will be conducted on two consecutive weekends: Saturday, May 13 and Sunday May 14, followed by Saturday, May 20 and Sunday, May 21. Attendance at all training days is a requirement for acceptance into the program.
Please send the completed application by email to
email@example.com by TUESDAY, May 9. Participants must be 14 years old as of May 13, 2017 to participate. In addition to the application, ALL HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS MUST HAVE A TEACHER SUBMIT A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION.
If we think you would be a good fit for the program, you will be invited to participate in a group orientation and interview at the Central Park Zoo.
Discovery Guide Application form
For more information, please contact